Tuesday 4 May 2010

Idlewild call it a day, maybe


When I was 18, my favourite band (RUTH, anyone? Their singer went on to much bigger success as Aqualung) broke up. I had an awkward summer where I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself, then Idlewild came along and before I knew it, I was chasing a drunk Bob Fairfoull across a field at T in the Park to get an autograph. Crazy.

Like every hardcore Idlewild fan seems to, there are bits about Idlewild I like and dislike, and whenever they release a new record, I think it's rubbish in comparison to the old stuff. But I always seem to come around to everything they do. I'd currently make the controversial shout that my favourite Idlewild albums are Hope Is Important and Warnings/Promises. Not a cool choice, but seriously... 'Too Long Awake' is an incredible song.

Anyway, things were weird for Idlewild for a while. What they wanted to play and what they wanted to write seemed to clash with what the fans wanted to hear in an irreconcilable way. But lately it all seemed to have come back together, not least at their last few shows. They really looked like they were enjoying playing the old songs, and the crowd were greeting the Post Electric Blues stuff with genuine warmth.

But instead of us all living happily ever after, Idlewild have called indefinite hiatus - and people who know people tell me that the break seems fairly permanent or at least very long term.

Here's hoping those people are wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Their timing couldn't have been more impeccable. I had decided to give their London show on this tour a miss due to poverty, and BAM! The next day, Hiatus.

    THANKS GUYS, thanks.

    Who will I throw chocolate at now?! I HAVE NO EXCUSES TO COME TO GLASGOW SPONTANEOUSLY AT CHRISTMAS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll always love Idlewild, even if I didn't warm to their later albums, because maybe we'd never have been friends otherwise <3

    ReplyDelete